Watchtower Double Standards
“Why would you focus on the flaw in someone else’s life and fail to notice the glaring flaws of your own? How could you say to your friend, ‘Let me show you where you’re wrong,’ when you’re guilty of even more? You’re being hypercritical and a hypocrite! First acknowledge and deal with your own ‘blind spots,’ and then you’ll be capable of dealing with the ‘blind spot’ of your friend.
(Matt 7:1-5, Passion Translation)
- Business. JWs are advised against conducting business with Babylon the Great, avoiding any regular work involvement on church property, such as plumbing, electrical, painting etc. (WT 1999 April 15 p.28-30) But on numerous occasions Kingdom Halls have been sold to Babylon the Great!
- Celebrations. All worldly holidays are related to false religion and rooted in paganism. At the same time, JWs accept wedding customs (cakes, rings, bridesmaids) originating in paganism.
- Clergy. They castigate the churches for having clergy. In contrast JWs claim they have no clergy, but are all ministers. But when the WT Organisation is being sued for criminal negligence in child abuse cases they claim “clergy – penitent privilege.”
- Confession. The voluntary Catholic confessional to one priest is wrong because he can’t forgive sins. But the mandatory JW confessional to elders, untrained in counselling, is an obligation laid on all members. These elders assume the power to grade your repentance and if deemed unworthy of forgiveness for one of 40 reasons you can be disfellowshipped.
- CSA. When the Churches have engaged in protecting paedophile priests by hushing up the matter it is evidence that they are the filthy harlot of Revelation. When JWs don’t notify police of CSA (and refuse to hand over their secret files) it is to protect the reputation of God’s true organisation – and save financial repercussions.
- Donations. They have criticized other religions for (a) utilizing electronic methods for collecting donations; (b) soliciting money, including tithing, and (c) living and worshiping in luxurious buildings. Nowadays we find WT guilty of these very things, (a) installing credit card devices at Assembly Halls and convention venues; (b) though claiming donations are voluntary, they extract the equivalent of a joint monthly ‘tithe / loan’ upon every congregation as a whole and at times have required donation forms be submitted to each member committing them to give a monthly amount, and (c) the building of Warwick and other luxury branch and translation offices – all by free labour and “voluntary” donations.
- Growth. Organisational growth is attributed to God’s blessing. A decline is either ignored or said to be evidence that the end is near and the “love of the greater number cooling off.”
- Literature. The WT offers their literature (book form or electronic) to others but refuses to consider any other religious literature offered to them. Cannot the “truth” withstand investigation or criticism?
- Lying. When a Christian from another denomination lies, he is acting like his father the Devil. When a JW lies, he may well be proving his loyalty to Jehovah and the organisation by engaging in “theocratic warfare”. Watchtower 1960 says, “God’s Word commands: “Speak truth each of you with his neighbor.” There is one exception, however, that the Christian must ever bear in mind. As a soldier of Christ, he is in theocratic warfare and he must exercise added caution when dealing with God’s foes.” (June 1 p.351)
- Memorial Partakers. They state that no one should judge who truly have the heavenly hope and partake at the Memorial. But then label many or most of them as “having mental or emotional problems” but, of course, all the Governing Body are accepted and highly honoured. (WT 2016 January p.22-27)
- Persecution. If the persecution or martyrdom of Christians of other denominations is mentioned at all (never in JW prayers), it is blamed on their political interference or blind misguided zeal. Witness persecution is seen as evidence of Satan’s attacking the true religion, following Christ’s example and the fulfilling of Scripture.
- Predictions. When the Faithful and Discreet Slave interprets prophecy incorrectly it is due to an eagerness to see the new system and “new light” is sure to follow. When another religious group makes false predictions, it is proof that they are false prophets in fulfilment of Christ’s words about the last days.
- Pride. When the organization is found guilty of major error it remains proudly silent and unrepentant of its sins. Yet if an individual JW discovers such cover-ups and decides to leave, they are viewed as being full of pride and can be disfellowshipped.
- Salvation. “We cannot take part in any modern version of idolatry – be it worshipful gestures toward an image or symbol or the imputing of salvation to a person or an organization.” (WT 1990 Nov 1 p.26) But conversely the same year they said, “Bible students … must appreciate that identifying themselves with Jehovah’s organization is essential to their salvation.” (KM 11/1990 p.1)
- Shunning. If you are studying with JWs and your family shuns you, they assert, “No one should be forced to choose between religion and family.” (Awake July 2009 p28) But if you get baptised then later come to believe differently to the present WT teachings you will face investigation and shunning.
- Sifting work. When people leave another Christian religion, it is evidence that the church is of the Devil, devoid of spiritual food and is morally corrupt. When someone leaves the organization for conscience reasons, it is evidence that God is shepherding and protecting the flock by doing a sifting work. Shunning is claimed to be an evidence of love!
- TV evangelism. In 1986 the WT condemned preachers using the television. They quote an Australian newspaper, “They appear in a blaze of electrified power and glory on 300 TV stations, and are worshipped like pop idols. . .. For all their tactics, these men who claim to manipulate even God, come down in the end to a straight business deal. Send them $10 and they will send you to heaven.” (WT 1986 Nov 15th p.21) Since 2014 Monthly programs hosted by members of the Governing Body and helpers appear on their channel.
- UN. When other churches support the United Nations it is evidence that the harlot is fornicating with the Wild Beast. When the WT organization officially agreed to support the UN objectives from 1992 to 2001 as an NGO it was because they needed “access to their library”.
- University. Anyone attending university is viewed as spiritually weak and to be selfishly seeking their own wealth and fame, even if they are studying to become qualified medical professionals. At the same time, they urgently request anyone having such qualifications as attorneys, accountants, architects, IT, builders, etc to submit applications to work for the WT for zero remuneration of time and effort. One question on their application form A-19 asks, “How many years of trade school, college, or university education have you completed?”